While sugarless gum has dental benefits, your jaw and mouth also need to be in proper condition if you wish to enjoy those benefits. Here are a few tips and some conventional wisdom as it relates to chewing gum:
– Chewing sugarless gum is very beneficial after meals because it helps increase the saliva flow in your mouth, which washes away food particles and neutralizes harmful acids capable of eating through your teeth.
– Sugarless gum should only be used if you do not suffer from a jaw disorder such as a TMD.
– Studies have shown that by chewing sugarless gum after meals, you can help thwart cavities.
– Sugarless gum is also a useful tool in the prevention and treatment of heartburn, which is caused by a buildup of acids that travel up your esophagus, as it can help protect teeth should the acids reach your mouth.
– Even though sugarless gum can help your smile, by no means should it ever be used as a replacement for brushing and flossing daily.
Dr. Mauricio Martinez and our team at Gulf Coast Smiles will help you with your oral health care in any way we can. If you would like to schedule a visit to our dentist office in Cape Coral, Florida, please call us at 239.549.0001. We look forward to hearing from you soon!